October 13, 2010

Shhh...mommy's working.

I don’t know if it is a matter of self-discipline or minimizing distractions or a combination of both, but I get way more work done when I’m not at home. With Craftober nearing the half-way point and motivation lagging (already??), I need all the help I can get.

So, in the interest of getting some stuff made, I dragged my supplies to the shop on Thanksgiving Monday and spent the afternoon at the counter making jewelry. To really trick myself into thinking that I was working, I set hours, wrote it on my calendar and even packed a lunch!

Did it work? Well, after about an hour of organizing and 30 mins to eat a salad the size of a manatee, I settled in and got my craft-on. For 4 blissful, uninterrupted hours, I made necklaces and earrings out of t-shirt “spaghetti” and random charms and bits (in preparation for my upcoming “Bling” sale at the Franco-Manitoban Cultural Centre). I’m not sure what the final count was because the mascot arrived and distracted me (go fig!), but it was lots. Like, 16 sets or something.

I think I am going to try to schedule about one of these “shifts” per week until the craft-sale season is over. It takes a little bit more planning and prep to make sure that I have everything with me, but it also forces me to make better use of my time. It’s pretty hard to procraftstinate when there is no TV, fridge, internet, child, fella, book, bed, Nintendo DS, Wii or bathtub vying for one’s attention. It's just me, the radio and a big table to spread my stuff out on. Ahhh...serenity now.

No comments:

Post a Comment