March 18, 2011

Art or cupcakes? Yes, please!

This Sunday, for the third (third?!?!) year in a row, I will be participating in the MAWA “Over the Top” art auction and cupcake party, both as an artist and a baker. As in previous years, I have donated 2 collages for the sale; here’s a sneak peek:



The one on the left, “In Her New Position” is made up of several vintage elements and has a little piece of Winnipeg included. The basis of the collage is an old postcard depicting the now-defunct Portage Avenue Eaton’s department store as it appeared in the 40s/50s. I am hoping that that connection will make someone want to bid on the piece. I absolutely love it, but I just might be a little biased…

The second piece that I have donated is one of my altered playing cards, tarted up with a vintage map background and a shadowbox frame. The quote reads: “As the ocean is never full of water, so is the heart never full of love.” I know, right? The card is actually one of two that were made. #1 went to my dear friend and ex-coworker (and mermaid fan), Tina.

As for the cupcakes, those are yet to be made. This year there will be over 1000 cupcakes at the party, so I am going to have to do something to stand out….like mocha cupcakes, topped with mocha buttercream and mini donuts. Get it? Coffee and a donut!

For more info on the “Over the Top” event, including how to purchase tickets, please visit MAWA’s website. The party is always a ton of fun, and it’s a great way to hob-nob with the artsy crowd, buy some fabulous art and, of course, eat your weight in cupcakes! There is a preview of all of the auction pieces tomorrow from 10-4, and then the bidding starts on Sunday at 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment