December 25, 2011

Christmas (Day) Stalking - day 25

I have to admit something. I don't actually remember what we ate for breakfast on Christmas morning when I was little. I'm sure it was good (my parents were known for their breakfasts), but I was a typical kid and, as any kid at Christmas, preoccupied with toys, toys and more toys. Even waffles couldn't hold me for more than 10 minutes or so.

It wasn't until I became acquainted with the woman who was to become my step-mother that I "discovered" the horribly named (but oddly enjoyable) Wifesaver.


To the uninitiated, Wifesaver is a casserole of bread, eggs, milk and cheese that is assembled the night before and then baked, in this case, on Christmas morning. The original Christmas Morning Wifesaver recipe can be found in one of the early "Best of Bridge" books, or here on their website.

This year, while I wrestle with the deceptive* and somewhat misogynist name, we will be enjoying a slightly updated version of the classic dish. Rather than the ham/green pepper/minced onion combo that the Best of Bridge ladies made famous, mine will have multi-grain bread, spinach, gruyere and caramelized onions. I will definitely be skipping the cornflake topping, but the mustard must stay; it just wouldn't be the same without it. (Watch my blog, Relish, in the new year for the recipe!)


*Despite numerous discussions with friends and co-workers on this very subject, I am still confused about exactly what this is "saving" the wife from. Yes, there is not a lot of actual cooking that needs to be done on Christmas morning, but you do have to remember to get up and get it ready to go into a hot oven at least 90 mins before your hungry family arrives at the table...not to mention the fact that while your little angels are nestled all snug in their beds, you are holed up in the kitchen at midnight grating cheese and cracking endless eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment