January 23, 2012

Hell on Wheel

Once upon a time, there was a girl named "Spinny". It wasn't her real nickname, of course, but that's just what the other kids called her. To this day, she doesn't know why, but let's just assume it had something to do with her...uh...exuberant attitude. 

Fast forward 27 years or so. They don't call her Spinny anymore, but if they did, they would have a perfectly good reason to. On Mondays and Fridays, she can be found channeling her exuberance during the 6:15am spin class at the Reh-fit Centre.

Full disclosure: I am talking about myself.


I first tried spinning at my old gym in Surrey, BC. I think I lasted exactly 6 minutes before throwing in the proverbial towel. It took me 4 years before I could summon up the courage to try again. My second class (at a new gym) went much better than the first, although I didn't manage any "jumps". I stuck it out for the full 45 mins, though, and two short weeks later, I was hooked. 

That was two years ago and I am still spinning away twice a week at 6:15am. Some days are pure torture, but the music, the instructors and the camaraderie of the group always keeps me coming back. 

Plus, not only is it fun, I think that it is one of the most-efficient workouts out there. 45 hot and sweaty minutes is all it takes to blast an average of 400 calories...and all you need to know how to do is pedal. 

Fancy moves, like these, are optional.

No comments:

Post a Comment