January 3, 2012

I resolve!

I, like many people, used to think that New Year's resolutions were silly and arbitrary, however I have since changed my tune. In fact, this year I am not only making resolutions; I am setting goals and working on intentions that will (hopefully) guide my next 12 months. 



Resolutions - These are going to be ongoing, big-picture things. I resolve: to stay healthy, active and fit and, in doing so, to be a role-model to others; to maintain a strong relationship with my son and to help him develop useful skills and positive behaviours; to love and be loveable; to be faithful, loyal and honest; to control my finances and manage my spending; to maintain a level head when "haters be hatin'"; to work hard, be a useful member of the team and advance in my job. 

Goals - I'll be setting these monthly. They might be fitness related ("run 5k, three times weekly"), job related ("teach 8 Group Power classes"), home related ("get the dishwasher fixed"), or just for fun ("learn to surf").

Intentions - Set daily, or even hourly, intentions are little plans that help you guide your mind and, in turn, lead you towards achieving your goals. In yoga, I use intentions to focus my practice to get the results that I want. This year, I want to start every morning by setting an intention and then revisit it at bedtime to assess the results. Some will be personal challenges, and some will just serve as reminders to be kind, live mindfully, etc. 

The object of all of this is to live better, to feel better, to do things better... to just be better.

I can't think of a better way to start 2012, can you?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a plan to me! Anything to do with self improvement is right up my alley, no matter what we call it.

    ReplyDelete