February 1, 2012

Day one - My View Today

Today's blog challenge topic was an easy one for me. I am lucky to work in one of the coolest buildings in one of the coolest neighbourhoods in town, so it was a no-brainer that I would choose this to be "my view today".



The Exchange district is one of Winnipeg's oldest neighbourhoods and has even been designated as a National Historic Site. Nestled in the heart of downtown, it is literally a living movie set, which often doubles as other major cities at the turn-of-the-(20th)-century. I am constantly finding new, surprising vignettes and vistas as I venture out and make my way around the 30-odd blocks that make up the Exchange.

The view you see here is what I see every day from my desk* on the fifth floor of the Crocus Building. It is quite foggy today, so the taller, more modern buildings that sit just outside the exchange are obscured. As much as I like seeing the juxtaposition of new against old, I love this picture for its gritty, industrial, from-another-time appearance. If it weren't for the newish cars in the parking lot, I probably could've convinced you that it was from another era.



*Well, if I stand up and walk 7 paces to the window, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment