March 23, 2012

Over the Top 2012

For the past three years, I have attended the MAWA "Over the Top" cupcake party and art auction, both as a contributor and as a purchaser. This year, due to a little belt-tightening, I held off on bidding; however, I was more than happy to offer a piece of art and 4 dozen homemade cupcakes - cherry-almond and banana.

The piece that I donated to this year's auction is called "Elegance" and is part of my series of collages featuring vintage ladies and ephemera. The elegantly attired gal is set against a background of printed papers, a Tiffany and Co box and a page from an old book called, not surprisingly, "Elegance".


When you donate work to one of these things, there is always the chance that your piece won't sell and you'll have to take it home. Not that I would have minded having the original in my living room, I was happy to see it go to a good home for $50. (And I still get to have a copy of it...shh.)

My cupcakes, as well, were a hit, and not just with the mascot and my fella, who were obligated to try one of each kind. Other party-goers seemed to enjoy them, too! You can find the recipes for both kinds of cupcakes AND a tutorial for the wickedly good Swiss Meringue Buttercream on my food blog, Relish.

No comments:

Post a Comment