October 1, 2012

Take a Bow


When my mom was in town at the end of August, the Mascot dragged us out to Heartland Archery in Transcona. After my initial "ecch" over all the hunting stuff, we signed up for an hour on the range. Once we had figured out dominant eyes and bow strength, and signed our waivers, we were good to go.


I hadn't shot an arrow since my days at camp, and I had never used a compound bow, but it didn't take long to get the hang of it. After a couple flubs, I was consistantly hitting the targets...well, the paper...but that's something.


And the Mascot did a pretty good job, too. Fresh from a session at camp that included archery lessons, he jumped right in and started shooting, and even had "helpful" tips for us as we went along. (#1 - Oma, quit hitting your arm.)


When we left, they gave us each a voucher for a complimentary visit. I won't be giving Katniss Everdeen a run for her money, nor will I be asked to join any roving bands of Merry Men, but that shouldn't stop me from shooting a few arrows, right? Besides, how can you argue with "free"?


No comments:

Post a Comment